P.S. 8 Family Update: Week of May 3, 2021
- 2021–22 School Calendar Released
- Vote Now in Your Community and Citywide Education Council Election
- Teacher Appreciation Week Starts May 3
- Register for Summer Rising
2021–22 School Year Calendar
The DOE has released the 2021–22 public school calendar, available now at schools.nyc.gov/calendar.
Some of this year’s important dates include:
- First Day of School for All Students: Monday, September 13
- Election Day (full remote asynchronous instructional day for all students): Tuesday, November 2
- Thanksgiving Recess (schools closed): Thursday–Friday, November 25–26
- Winter Recess (schools closed): Friday–Friday, December 24–31
Please note the following reminders:
- On “snow days” or days when school buildings are closed due to an emergency, all students and families should plan on participating in remote learning.
- Your parent-teacher conference date might be different from those listed on the School Year Calendar. Your child’s teacher will work with you to schedule your conference.
You can find a printable version of the calendar along with translations at schools.nyc.gov/calendar2122.
Vote Now in the 2021 CCEC Elections!
CCEC elections voting is now open and runs through May 11 and for the first time, voting is open to parents and guardians of all students. Education Council representatives serve as the voice of our families and offer important advice to the Chancellor and the Department of Education. Now is your chance to have a say on who sits on these councils.
Parents can vote for their district councils and citywide councils that serve their students using their NYC Schools Account at MySchools.nyc.
Want to learn more about how to vote in the CCEC elections? Parent University offers a free course on the voting process at parentu.schools.nyc/course/detail/351 or you can watch directly on our YouTube channel here: youtube.com/channel/UConHMOb3enWOJXaJJn7xbSQ/playlists.
For more information about running for, serving on, and voting in elections, please visit schools.nyc.gov/elections2021.
Teacher Appreciation Week Begins May 3
New York City’s teachers have shown up for our students, families, and City in so many ways this past year. Teacher Appreciation Week is a time for us to show up for them.
The DOE invites students, families, and other members of the community to take a moment to thank a teacher today!
Visit our website at www.ps8lions.com where you can send a note of appreciation to the teachers making a difference in your life.
You can also share your gratitude on social media using the hashtag #ThankaTeacherNYC.
Register for Summer Rising
Registration is now open for Summer Rising, NYC's new free summer program for students in grades K–12. PS.8 will be closed this summer and our summer school site will be PS 95, located at 3961 Hillman Avenue, Bronx, NY 10463.
Summer Rising will offer academic and social-emotional support, arts, and recreation. There will also be local field trips to parks, pools, and other enriching outdoor venues that are both educational and meet State health and safety guidelines.
Breakfast, lunch, and a snack will be served to each student.
Families of students in grades K-8 can sign up at nyc.gov/summerrising.
After you sign up for a program, you’ll receive an email confirming your registration. If you need assistance or have any questions please email Ms. Capo, Parent Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Oquendo, Community Coordinator at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing your child this summer!